When all is said and done, the lighting you use in the design of your outdoor project can make or break the feel of your outdoor living area. It is easy to overlook the significance of lighting, but there actually are some very important reasons why you want to focus at least some of your time, energy, and money on lighting up your new space.
- Safety: It is good to have a decent amount of light in what would be a dark backyard so you can keep yourself and your family safe, whether you are in the house or are enjoying your new outdoor living space.
- Ambiance: The right type of lighting in the right place can add to the intimate and cozy look and feel of your deck or patio.
- Highlight Features: Certain lights can be used to highlight interesting or important features in your yard.
There are a few ways to incorporate lighting into your project for these purposes:
- Overall Lighting: This would be things that provide light for a
whole room or space such as ceiling lights or large lamps.
- Task Lighting: This type of lighting is used for a specific purpose, such as lighting a path or stairway. Dynamic Decksteriors likes to put lights in deck stairs and railings or posts as a way to guide around the deck and add some different aspects to your outdoor living area.
- Accent Lighting: Accent lighting is used to accent or highlight certain areas or features, like a water feature or
stone seatwalls. This can also be used in a pergola or gazebo to bring focus to that interesting aspect of the yard’s design.
When it comes to lighting outdoors, or anywhere really, you want to be careful not to use extremely bright lights that are annoying or disagreeable to the eyes. Be sure to use dim, low-voltage lights so you are still able to see what needs to be seen, but they are muted enough for you to still have the relaxing feeling of being outdoors in the evening. This is part of the ambiance that we mentioned above. Lighting is a very important aspect of an outdoor living area because it is what allows the space to be used comfortably at any time of the day. It is crucial that you make this a focal point of your project, or ensure that your contractor does. If you are looking to begin a project and need help with some aspects of it, such as lighting, give Dynamic Decksteriors a call at 913-522-5211.